I am constantly looking for recipes of my favorite splurge meals that have been re-vamped so I do not feel so guilty eating something I crave. I love ALL Italian food and my favorite is Fettuccine Alfredo… the SAUCE… is what does it for me! Honestly, if you put Alfredo sauce on a log I would probably eat it.
So, I found this GREAT healthy recipe in the September 2012 Shape Magazine that I tried at home for the fam and they honestly had no idea that they weren’t eating the real thing. Let me know how you like it or even put your own spin on the dish.
Calories: 287 / Per Serving
Serves: 4 – Prep Time: 15 Min – Cook Time: 15 Min
- 8 oz – Whole-Wheat Fettuccine
- 2 cups – Chopped Leeks (1 bunch / white & lightest green parts only)
- 1 cup – Nonfat Milk
- 1 oz – Parmigiano-Reggiano grated (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 bunch – Asparagus (about 1 pound / peeled into thin ribbons from tip to steam with a vegetable peeler)
- Butter-flavored Cooking Spray
- 2 gratings from a Whole Nutmeg
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add fettuccine and cook according to package directions, minus 1 minute for an al dente texture.
2. Meanwhile, place leeks and milk in a large microwave-safe bowl, cover with plastic, and microwave on high for 6 minutes or until tender. Transfer mixture to a blender and add about half of the Parmigiano-Reggiano, pulsing until very smooth. Transfer mixture to a large nonstick skillet, place over medium-high heat, and bring to a simmer.
3. Once pasta is done, add asparagus to pot and cook for 30 seconds. Remove noodles and asparagus from heat, drain and add to skillet with alfredo sauce. Cook for 2 minutes or until sauce thickens. Coat with 16 pumps of butter spray, add nutmeg, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide among four plates, top with remaining cheese, and serve immediately.